Sunday, February 17, 2008

This morning, Sonora and I went for a long walk. It was still foggy and cold when we started out, but I knew the day would soon warm beyond freezing. We came to a spot in the road where the ice was thin and milky white above nothing. I don't really know why ice freezes in flat sheets above a nearly-dry depression in the ground, but I remembered searching out this easy prey when I was a child. "Step on it." I told Sonora and she walked tentatively forward onto the icy patch. It cracked and fell in with a deep, thin, hollow crunch. She laughed and began stomping all around until the whole thing had fallen to pieces; it looked much like a window pane would have after receiving the same treatment. I laughed with my daughter.

One of the unexpected joys of fatherhood has been rediscovering some of the things I liked as a kid. I had forgotten, until the walk this morning, about hollow ice on dirt roads in the late winter. It made me recall other things like sledding down icy roads on steel-runner sleds, or gently eating the very thin ice that forms in protruding ledges from the snow as it melts, coalesces, and then freezes in a day's time. When I was a child and heard the stories of the Children of Israel, I imagined that manna must somehow be like those thin films of ice that stuck out toward me from the ground, offering themselves up for me to collect and enjoy.

I am glad for the reminders Sonora's discoveries give me that I am still with myself, that every day of me is still in me like a hundred thousand Russian dolls packed into one; it is comforting and somehow wonderful. I wonder which of Sonora's memories, in twenty or thirty years from now, will remind her of this idea, will draw her back to her youth, to walking on a dirt road on a winter day that whispers of spring, breaking up irrational ice.

5 comments:

the child family said...

I love it, the whole concept of experiencing/re experiencing these memories with your children. It is just so amazing to watch their surprise and glee at making new discoveries.
Lily and I were reading about Korihor tonight and her eyes grew wide, wondering if he would deny Christ again and be struck dumb as Alma threatened. It's so cool to be so involved in the magic of those firsts and, as you said, realize that the magic is still in you.

the child family said...

p.s. tell Liz I think she looks hot with a belly.

Joal said...

I'll pass on the compliment. Liz will appreciate it.

The whole scripture reading thing hasn't worked out too well with Sonora yet. We try to read a couple of verses after dinner (that is, when I'm not rushing off to Scouts or coming home late from work). We are barely into 1 Nephi. When we read about Lehi, we tell Sonora, "he was the guy who saw the fire and communicated with God." She nods her head as if that means something. Later on, she will probably confuse him with Moses.

Hey, one more thing while I'm thinking of it: After reading Tanya's blog last night, Liz and I decided we should do a reunion trip in AZ with some fellow Anasazi folks. We were thinking we could set up a family base camp at Red creek and do day hikes to places we remember from being on the trail. What do ya say? It might be a year or two or ten away, but I think we should consider it.

Vanessa said...

I was just thinking the other day what would be special to the kids when they are older. I am increasingly worried that we are being so bombarded with stimuli, millions of toys, computer, etc, robbing our kids of this nostalgia. i don't think you and E need to worry because you do a great job of monitoring these theives that so many of us welcome with open arms into our homes.
Oh, and I still love that thin layer of ice.

the child family said...

I love it! Let's do it!!