Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Night Sledding

After we woke up this morning (Monday), Elizabeth asked me what was on my schedule. "Not much" was my reply, but it still ended up being a busy and somewhat stressful day for me and for Elizabeth. But in the early evening, around 5:30, after I had finished shoveling the driveway and walkway, I had an urge to go sledding. There wasn't much time for it, but I went inside and asked Sonora (who, on an annoying sugar high, had been pestering Elizabeth all day) if she wanted to go sledding. She said yes excitedly and I helped her suit up.

It's good that Sonora has good snow gear, because it was cold tonight. The sun had set a little after 4:00 and the temperature was now hovering a few degrees above zero. The air burned our faces. The sled crackled each time we sat on it. Where the snow had been mostly plowed or scraped away, it moaned dryly beneath our feet, not wanting to pack together. Instead it shifted into stratified little mounds beside our boots.

But this crispness to the air and snow felt good somehow. It more sharply defined things, brought everything closer together, even the stars. Clouds had hung over us most of the time for the last few weeks, but tonight while Sonora and I were out, the stars were clearly visible behind the puffs of fog created by our breathing: galaxies, constellations, clusters, lone stars. Sonora pointed to a star and said, "Look at that bright star. I wonder if that was the one that shined on baby Jesus." I told her it might have been.

At first, we tried sledding down the long hill behind our house, but, though we had sledded on it just a couple of days ago, there was nearly a foot of new snow on top of the previous track we had used. We just couldn't get up any speed in the deep snow, so we took to the streets. Very few cars were out and I felt confident that we would see any car headlights in enough time to react to avoid a collision. We didn't end up seeing any cars while sledding, so I couldn't test my hypothesis.

There are many hills in our village. We sledded down four of them, the last one, a couple hundred yards long, being the longest ride of the night. The walk up the hill was slow and we had to stop a few times so I could warm Sonora's freezing face by cupping my bare hand around her chin and mouth and cheeks. But the descent was worth it. It was long and fast-paced. We were mostly surrounded by darkness, though I could see well enough to stay between the looming snow banks on either side of the road. Ice crystals knocked loose by the sled pelted our faces like sand. We blinked to keep our eyes clear and to keep them in focus. It was exhilarating, soaring down the snow-coated street, hugging my daughter tightly in front of me, knowing that she was enjoying herself as we skittered and bounced and lurched over the uneven, crunching surface, submitting completely to gravity as it hurled us downward.

When we came to a rest in the middle of a block, underneath towering old leafless trees, Sonora said "Let's keep going Dadda." But we had reached the bottom. We would have to climb another hill in order to sled again, she was getting cold all over, and Elizabeth would have just finished making dinner, so I told Sonora it was time to go. She held onto the rope of the sled and trotted in front of me. She was Rudolph and I was Santa and the sled was our sleigh and we were delivering presents to all of the kids, she told me. So we hurried home while playing at being Saint Nicholas and, upon arrival at our warm home, congratulated ourselves for a job well done; many imaginary children had received many imaginary gifts because or our hard work.

From there, the day continued as before: we ate dinner, Elizabeth and I got the kids ready for bed, put them to bed, and then kept on working on things deep into the night. I'm glad that Sonora and I could go sledding. Those 45 minutes playing outside in the cold night with my daughter changed a stressful day into an enjoyable day.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

The word 'village' is so cozy. It makes me want to live in one. Merry Christmas!

carrith said...

"it moaned dryly beneath our feet, not wanting to pack together" You have just described one of my most loathed sounds/feelings. I shuddered just reading your accurate description.