Monday, January 28, 2008


I try not to think about my own life too much because I have a tendency to feel guilty for my happiness. Here is a case in point: about a year and a half ago, the position I was teaching in at the community college where I work was change from adjunct to full-time. That meant that a national search had to be conducted. There was a chance I would not get the job because someone better qualified could get it and then I would be out of a job. Over 70 people, some with PhDs, applied for the position. I have an MFA, a terminal degree, but it is still only a master's degree. Three finalists were chosen for an interview; I was one of them. I'm told that one of the finalists, a guy who had a PhD and several years worth of experience teaching at a university, flew all the way from the east coast to interview for the position. But he didn't get the job; I did, in part because I had already built up relationships with students and faculty members and was doing a satisfactory job in the classroom. I was happy to get the job, but sad for this other nameless person whose hopes were drown indirectly by me. I could have been on his end of things and not gotten the job and wasted all that time and money flying to some little rural town just to be turned away.

Besides a good job, I have a great family. Elizabeth and I didn't know each other that well before we got married. We thought we did, but looking back at our first year of marriage, when we both felt misunderstood and frustrated, we really weren't that acquainted with each other. But for many years since then, we have been really happy together. Why? I'm not sure, but just about every other couple I'm familiar with is teetering on the edge of divorce, living with disdain, frustration, power struggles, fear, intimidation, jealousy, spite. Why did I get to end up with a really cool wife? I don't know, but I rarely admit to anyone how in love I am with Elizabeth because I'm afraid they might think I'm gloating.

I haven't used the word "rad" for a long time, but I've got a pretty rad kid. Sonora is funny, loving, insightful, smart, unique, independent but not defiant, creative but not obnoxious, interested but not clingy. Some people at church don't enjoy her as much as I do, because she hasn't gotten the whispering thing down very well and is sometimes loudly observant of the people around her, but I think she is funny. There aren't very many parents who think their kids suck, so I don't have to feel very guilty about loving my daughter, but I try to downplay my admiration of her, just in case. However, an area where many people, especially dads, lack, is time. For about eight weeks each quarter, I don't have much time to spend with Sonora, but the rest of the time, I get to spend a lot of time with her: going for walks, poking around in the garden, looking at the stars, chasing each other around the house, putting together puzzles, stalking cats. I know that many parents hurt when they think about the time they can't spend with their kids; I feel that pain when I get really busy grading essays, preparing for class, and doing all that Scout Master stuff (I'm the Scout Master of our troop and I don't like how much time it takes) and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, so I try very hard not to rub in anyone's face how much time I regularly get to spend with my daughter. Also, we have friends who can't have children, and friends who are not married but would like to be. I don't know why Elizabeth and I have a kid and another on the way. I'm very glad for us, though I'm sad for those whose dreams go unfulfilled in this regard. Sometimes I feel a wave of depression when I realize everything other people don't have.

We just bought our first house and while it is little according to highly inflated American standards, it is a great place. Truth be told, our 1,000 square foot home is more than we need. It overwhelms me when I let my mind dwell even for a moment on the luxuries I've come to regard as basic services, when I realize with how little most people in the world make do. Nearly every day when I return home, I swell with affection for our house and the land it sits on. It's not much to look at, but it takes really good care of us. Here is a link to a couple of pictures of the place taken last November: http://picasaweb.google.com/JoalDLee.

I suppose it does not much good to fret about what others don't have; my mom once told me that if I can do something about a situation, I should do something. Otherwise I shouldn't worry about it. That is easier said than done because I cherish gratitude, and situational myopia--blocking out the situations of other people--is antithetical to thankfulness. I wish gratitude didn't hurt. I also wish others had those relationships, homes, jobs, educational opportunities, monetary resources, and experiences that would make them happy.

7 comments:

tanyamae said...

please please please gloat.... honestly... it is totally discouraging to see all of those unhappy couples who could break any day... or those that are just putting up with each other... why would anyone want to get married if that is what it means? For those of us who are not married we need the examples of really cool couples!!! and you are right... Elizabeth is really really cool... and I can only imagine that SOrna is totally rad... so... thanks for living your dream and instilling hope... seeds of faith if you will - that people are happy...really really happy… family life can be cool! p.s. does Liz blog?

tanyamae said...

and like you i feel for them... and... i am sure that their struggles exist because there are lessons that they need to learn from each other... i am sure the couples i see and fear that i will be one day will end up...after years of learning to bend...will be happy on the porch sipping cider once it is all said and done...

tanyamae said...

p.s. sorry to bombard you... but your are a college instructor... how does one (me) go about writting a senior thesis? any suggestions?

the child family said...

I read this post and feelings from my first area in my mission came flooding back. I was almost racked with guilt back then that I had such a wonderful, healthy upbringing - no abuse, no drugs, both parents, strong faith, opportunities to travel and go to college, etc. Those feelings of guilt subsided some when I realized that it was actually a blessing to others to see what life could be. Not that I was so much more advanced or anything, but, just as Tanya said, they saw what was possible and that gave them hope.

Also, the anthropologist in me wants to say that who is to say what is privileged? Definitely we know there are certain physical and spiritual needs that have to be met, but other things we view as privileged are pretty dependent on perspective. I've caught myself in foreign countries and also more locally feeling bad for someone because they didn't have what I have and then I remembered that my happy wasn't the only happy.
You know this...just rambling.

Good to hear about you guys and so glad things are going well for your beautiful family!

Joal said...

Thanks for the comments. This idea of guilt for good things has kind of been building up in the back of my mind for a while and I still haven't been able to fully articulate what I feel or mean.

You are right, Laura; "happiness" has infinite definitions/causes/applications. I'm glad I've been blessed as I have. It can be quite annoying to hear people say, "I'm so fortunate to have what I have. Too bad everyone else doesn't nave the same things I do." Chances are, they don't want the same things I do, and it is arrogant and short-sighted to assume that what they have is any less valuable than what I have.

Of course, things could change quickly in anyone's life, including mine. For right now and for the past few years, things have gone well according to my estimation. Tomorrow may be different.

I wish that others had what they wanted. Some people I am familiar with are really having a tough go at life right now and have been for a long while. Some of these people have had horrific things happen to them and have deep emotional scars as a result. Others haven't had any particularly bad thing happen to them, but they still express feelings of misery and hopelessness. I wish...I don't know. It pains me to see others struggle, to see others hurt. And I wonder why they are experiencing these things but not I. I don't think I'll find an answer, but this conflicted emotional state--feeling sad for the pleasant aspects of my lif--has me sort of perplexed.

Joal said...

Tanya,

I'm not sure exactly what goes into a senior thesis; I didn't have to write one for my bachelor's degree. I later wrote a master's thesis, but that is somewhat different. I'm teaching at a community college, so the students only go through their sophomore year here and aren't ready for a thesis project.

Here is my guess, however: Usually you are assigned a research essay (15-30 pages or so in length) that deals with a topic in your major or with your senior thesis course. You have to do a decent amount of research and develop some insightful ideas that are somewhat new or unique in your field. You are supposed to be "contributing to the conversation," meaning you are to pursue your topic as if that which you postulate or uncover or connect will be of significance to the larger conversations currently taking place in your degree field.

Sorry my response wasn't more helpful. I have rather little experience with senior theses.

the child family said...

I hear ya Joal, I guess that's what you get for having a good heart :)