Saturday, January 26, 2008


We watched the film Juno tonight. I quite liked it, though it was strange to view the adoption process from the reverse angle. Before we conceived Sonora, we had begun the adoption process and were starting to spread the word among our acquaintances that we were looking to adopt, should they know anyone...We were considering placing advertisements of ourselves, hoping to lure a pregnant college woman to choose us as the parents of her child. It felt unnatural to me, this process of selling ourselves like a grocery item, like so much sterile canned food with a flashy label.

So I liked the way the film shined some light on this struggle, but more than that, I liked how the film captures the feeling of an age. When I write "age," I don't mean adolescence or adulthood, but era, or epoch. You see, I've been contemplating of late about what attitudes will shape the next age. I'm pretty sure we are beyond Post-Modernism--with its uneasy relativity--and we are heading toward something else, though I'm not sure what. The idea that a sort of Jungian-like shared mythology permeates the minds of millions of people simultaneously is a fascinating idea to me: Separate from a shared culture, what defines us, the whole lot of us, right now and probably for the next few decades?

Many people have jumped on 9/11--U.S. paranoia; the suicidal evolution of guerrilla warfare; Terrorism replacing the Red Scare in our political dichotomy--as the defining characteristic of the new times. Fear, loathing, and Irony are the fall-outs. To some extent, I think this is true, but for some reason, the reality represented in the film Juno stands out in opposition to the 9/11 conclusions. In Juno, we find a celebration of the life of the individual as it is protected, fostered, by the New Family. Of the different incarnations of Family in the film, none are the traditional nuclear family, but all provide a sense of strength, a sense of comfort, a sense of refuge. This suggests to me that, as we recover from anchorless post-modernism and from fear-inducing 9/11, people are embracing as their anchor and their harbor the family, whatever form that might take, and the communities that surround them.

I jump on Juno as an example because to me it felt timely; the film didn't necessarily capture my convictions, but I think it might have captured and portrayed a large swath of America's, perhaps much of the Western world's, convictions.

Another film I watched a while ago that I think likewise taps into a philosophical/collective-unconscious vein is Donnie Darko. This film was originally released in 2001, so it was all filmed pre-9/11. Strangely, though, it is steeped in a sense of post-9/11 uncertainty; part of the plot involves a jet-engine falling from the sky to crash into Donnie's house. Beyond a deep sense of uncertainty and shifting reality, however, are interesting questions of existence and meaning. Existentialism, it seems, is still a driving philosophy. Or, at least, the questions that is raises are still being asked in seriousness. One thing that Darko brings to the table that most other existential discussions have not, however, is God. God remains a nebulous, remote presence, but the presence is there, introduced unabashedly into the plot as a changer of events, a true force.

The films Juno and Donnie Darko seem to be the two ends of this new age: on the one end is family and a celebration of living; on the other end is the misunderstood, absurd individual who recognizes a god in some form, and the reality of inevitable death with the idea that life and death need not necessarily be meaningless.

So we are perhaps squirming away from the edge of post-modern drift and unknowability toward a grasping of family/community and some overt sense of God or spirituality. Where the individual previously struggled alone in a state of separate desperation, she or he now might be more inclined to pull others into the fray to see if they might all make some meaningful connections that will make the whole experience less frightening.

I think I'll name our new age: The Juno-Darkoist Age. I think the name will stick; it's very catchy.

7 comments:

Sunny said...

Haven't read your posts yet, but got your comment on my blog- so exciting! I will make time tonight to read all about your little family and adventures. Give Liz big hugs and maybe a big lick on the forehead from Joe. Your little monkey is adorable. We need to hook up with you guys. We're in Boise- how far can it be to "small community college in Eastern Washington"?

tanyamae said...

so... i have heard that as we are evolving out and away from post-modernism the next place is either *cosmic humanism or *libertarianism... i can totally see and identify with the cosmic humanist perspective... most of the company i keep are pretty cosmic if you ask me... another friend of mine talks about family post modernism... from what i understand it might be similar to your juno/otherthing theory...

you read crunchy cons? friend said that captures family post-modernism... i think?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256754

tanyamae said...

this link will take you to amazon... i guess the npr one is a bust...

http://www.amazon.com/Crunchy-Cons-Conservative-Counterculture-Return/dp/1400050650

Joal said...

Sunny, we are about a six-hour drive from you. Occasionally we do pass through Boise and it would be cool to see you guys. I'll lick Liz's forehead soon.

Tanya,

Interesting blog. Your URLs were cut off, buy I looked up crunchy con and think I found the blog you suggested. I wrote that post kind of late at night, and my thoughts weren't quite coming together, but I wanted to get it out, even if it didn't necessarily make sense.

Vanessa said...

ok joal. So I will try to forgive you for not telling me that you have a blog....or maybe you need to try and forgive me because you told me and I forgot. Anyway, I am so excited that I am able to read your writing in a perpetual manner, rather than in bi-yearly bursts. (Does bi-yearly mean once every 2 years, because that is what I meant?) Oh, and I love your profile picture.

Joal said...

Vanessa,

I tend to be kind of a lurker. I wanted to write some of my thoughts in a venue that was more demanding than a simple diary, but less demanding than trying to get published. So starting a blog was sort of a way for me to write on occasion, but I kind of had a case of shyness for a while. I didn't want to call attention to myself. But I recently thought "What the hell" and left comments on some of my friends' blogs (including yours) and now a few people know I've joined in the fun. The nice part is, I didn't ever have to announce that I was blogging. I've always been a bad announcer.

Levi said...

Just caught up on some of your old posts. You've done an excellent job weaving Juno into some larger macro issues. Alicia and I did not like it for different reasons, but I really liked your take on it. I will try to stay more up to date with your more recent entries. Keep up the good work!